Hi! I'm Dana.
I'm a life-long hacker, traveller, and learner.
I'm particularly passionate about
- Living in unusual places (I'm writing this from Cairo, Egypt, and have lived in around 20 countries so far),
- Immersing myself in foreign culture and languages (I speak nine languages), writing about language learning and culture on my other blog, Discover Discomfort,
- Riding motorcycles plus anything on two wheels, and
- trying to fix or hack my way through anything with either hard steel tools or code.
In the tech world, I'm an expert at operations for high-tech, engineering-first companies.
This means companies like ride-sharing (Lyft), scooter rental (e.g. Lime), and e-commerce (e.g. Groupon).
High-tech companies hire engineers to make complicated code. I bridge the gap between code and reality, spending time on places like factory floors or in parking lots making dreams reality.
Here are a few things I've written on this blog that are popular:
- Create Happiness in Face-to-Face Customer Service using Data: a guide to how I put together many tools to create a 360-degree feedback loop for increasing service NPS at Lyft
- "That's no Tech Startup; That's a Factory": explaining why tech companies are often surprised by how hard it is to get physical operations to work
- Preventing and Managing Cafe No-Shows: a guide to getting staff to actually show up for critical work days
- How to buy a Yamaha R1, one of the greatest motorcycles of all time, and How to buy a Ducati Monster, one of my personal favourites
- Life lessons from David Goggins' "Can't Hurt Me" — My favourite motivational book
- How and Why I Turned Down my Dream Job for a Life of "Discomfort", which is the story of how I turned down a million-dollar opportunity to try to create a better world.
My vision (as well as the vision of Discover Discomfort) is for all of us to be able to see the world through the eyes of others. We try to help achieve this by writing language and culture guides to places that need more understanding, like the Middle East, Africa, Asia, Central Asia, and Latin America..
If you want to get in touch, please do so via my contact form.
You can find my profile on LinkedIn. But in brief:
- 2018+ — Marketplace Operations Consultant. Mostly consulted to Wind Mobility, optimising operations in Israel, Spain, and France
- 2018+: Founder/owner, Discover Media. Manage and grow portfolio of advertising and affiliate websites.
- 2016-18: Head of Ops, Lyft Retail (San Fransisco, US)
- 2014-16: Interim COO for Unity Asset Management, Hong Kong/Beijing ($1B USD AUM familiy office/PWM firm)
- 2013-14: Founder, Pilgrim Coffee (cafe finding app). Sunsetted.
- 2012: Full time Chinese student, Beijing
- 2011-12: GM, Revenue Operations, Groupon China, Beijing
- 2008-11: Consultant, Bain & Company (Australia, Singapore, Thailand)
- 2007-08: Analyst, Accenture (Australia)
- 2000-2006: Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Engineering, Monash Univeristy (Australia) — Honours, First Class
- Languages spoken (Business fluent): English, Spanish, French, Mandarin Chinese, Persian, Italian. I can get by (but not at work) in Egyptian Arabic, Hebrew, Korean, and Swahili